Thread: meds or no meds
View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 10:58

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

no matter which choice, therapy. So good for you for doing that! I still can't believe docs give antidepressants (which has not been proven to help in the long term) without requiring therapy (which HAS been shown to help).

It's possible that the chemical imbalance the depressed (and those of us with PMS, etc.) resulted from the miseries of early life experiences. So treating only the biochemical effect is like giving aspirin for the headaches that come from a brain tumor. It's simply treating the symptom. The underlying cause has to be addressed, too, or the 'tumor' of misery, bad thinking habits, dysfunctional family patterns and poor coping skills will never go away.
My heart goes out to you--you're working hard and making progress, but it's slow stuff, isn't it?

Crafts are cool. For me, the best non-drug treatment is time in nature. There's nothing like looking at the deer grazing, hearing the wind whispering in the trees, or watching sunlight ripple off a lake surface to soothe my troubled soul.