View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 16:32

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Smile I'll try to keep this short...

About 8 years ago, I started following Dr Ornish's plan. I really wanted to be a vegetarian and of course high-complex carbs and low fat are healthy, right? Well, I had held my own until then, never getting more than 10 lbs overweight, but after I started high-carbing, I gained 35 lbs, had way-bad blood sugar swings, horrid acid-reflux (I was taking Zantac & Gaviscon II & had to sleep sitting up), was terribly tired, developed receding gums, vitiligo (loss of skin pigment--being fair-skinned, it's not too noticeable unless I try to tan), my cholesterol went from 140 to 205, I developed arthritis in my knuckles, lets see, what else??? All that time, I kept thinking, "I must be doing this wrong!" but I was even mail-ordering whole grain products when I couldn't find them locally. It never occurred to me that I couldn't handle the carbs. I listened to our wise government.

When I finally got brave and went on Atkins, almost all of the symptoms went away within a week. Unbelievable. The only thing I still have is the vitiligo (which is an autoimmune disorder) and the receding gums. I guess I'll just have to live with them, my gift from Dr Ornish and his clan.

So, there are MANY health benefits to a LC way of living. I've heard worse stories than mine, too. I'm just glad that it finally looks like the truth will be out in the open soon. It will probably take 10 years as the powers that be don't like to admit when they are wrong, but I believe we'll get there. The LC WOL may not be the ticket for everyone, but sooo many people could end their suffering quite easily, they just don't know it. No one ever told them.

How sad.

Amy