#4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 14:24

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Something similar

Betty,

I had something very similar happen to me...but I firmly believe that it was not low carb that did it. It was going OFF low carb.

When I was in the peak of this WOE my hair wouldn't stop growing! My nails were becoming like a wolverines! Not to mention the muscles that were showing up without even working out...like where did those come from?!? My doctor attributed it to the amount of protein I was eating.

I had been strictly low carb for 8 months at least......and didn't lose any hair (other than normal shedding), so if it were going to happen on low carb it would have by then.

Then when I fell of the wagon, all of a sudden my hair started falling out in clumps! And I have A LOT of hair -- People mistake me for Amanda Marshall - a lot of hair. Anyway, I lost half the hair I had. Where I could get an elastic around it once...I now could get in around two, sometime 3 times! I too went to my doctors, got the tests done and everything was normal.

So to sum it up...I could totally see that maybe the shock of on and off is putting your body through hell. I mean think about it, carbs are addictive, just like a drug. Imagine being a heroin junkee and only using on weekends---drastic analogy, but it gets a point across.

There's my two-cents...good luck!

Linnea