View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 14:19

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi Nancy,

Eating meals out often does present a challenge, but not insurmountable. It is a matter of making choices that you can live with for lifetime. During the weight loss phase, you may need to make different decisions than the ones you will make for maintenance.

Italian, Mexican and Chinese sound like dinner type resteraunts. Mexican resteraunts are the easiest of the three for me to lowcarb. There are ususally many dishes served where the tortillas come on the side-just don't eat them. Italian can be hit and miss to find a lowcarb entree that isn't a salad. Even though the name "salad" is in the anti-pasta salad, it doesn't mean there are any greens. Just lots of meats, cheeses, olives, maybe some chopped tomato and onions. I think Chinese food is probably the hardest to lowcarb with, since the majority of sauces are made with sugar. Have you considered a Mongolian barbq type resteraunt where you pick out your own meats, vegies and sauces? Additionally, I have heard some people even feign diabetes in order to make special requests . If you have a fav. resteraunt and have gotten to know the staff, try asking if there is anything available without sugar or starch-you may be surprised what the chef is willing to do!

Breakfast should be fairly easy to lowcarb, omletts (hold the carbs- a bit of fruit instead?), eggs benedict-no muffin, etc, etc.
Even fast food can work. "Sausage, egg and cheese biscuit, would you please put the cheese between the egg and sausage?"

Lunch is the same way. Just eat your burger without the bun. If your in a sit-down resteraunt, you can probable substitute cottage cheese or a side salad for fries. I notice you live in SOCAL. I learned from FRIDAYEYES that In-n-out serves there burgers protein style. It's just not on the menu. I tried it out when we vacationed down there earlier this month, and it was great, albeit messy .

For long periods of time between meals, keep a stash of macadamia nuts on hand and LOTS of WATER!! In fact, many resteraunt foods are quite high in sodium, so I would reccomend water, water, water, water, water, and more water!

It may feel awkward around your boyfriend requesting special orders, but I am of the opinion that a true friend supports the endeavors of their friends as they work to make good choices for a healthy life!

Hope This Helps,