View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/221/200 Male 6'0"
BF:27%/25%/12%
Progress: 54%
Default Friends doing Atkins Diet - But cheating

Okay - so I started doing the Atkins diet a few weeks ago. Within a week people started commenting that I was losing weight. (Water weight I'm sure) But none-the-less, a couple of my buddies here at work started Atkins because of that. One is doing great, and in fact is losing more than I am. But the other guy is constantly professing that he is being "VERY STRICT" about Atkins. But "in the last week and a half, I have gained 11 pounds! Your diet SUCKS, Rick!!"

Okay - first things first. He HASN'T been sticking to the diet. When he told me that on the second day into the diet he went to the "Black-eyed Pea" and got the chicken fried steak with corn, mashed potatoes and gravy, (and this boy LOVES rolls). He told me that he picked all of the breading off of the chicken fried steak and just ate one bite of the potatoes. Then we went to our local electronic store Fry's. If anyone has every been to Fry's Electronics, you all know about the isle of temptation that they place before you at the checkout. I'm talking every chip and candy known to man. This would make Willey Wonka blush. And I am able to walk through and not budge an inch. But of course my friend goes for the gum... (SUGAR). Then on the way back to his place, I stopped off at McDonalds for a Dbl 1/4 pounder (no bread of course) and a large water. My friend has to get the LARGE DR. PEPPER!. Then for dinner we went to Chilli's. I got the chicken Fajitas and unsweet tea. He got the steak and yellow and green veggies. AND BREAD that he took a bite of.

Now I have told him that a single taste of this stuff is the "kiss of death" on this diet. But he insists that he hasn't cheated enough to make himself gain 11 pounds. But I explained that if he has taken in a good amount of fat like the diet requires, but he is also taking in some sugar, the body has no reason to burn the fat. It's going to burn the sugar first. And all of that extra fat is most likely going to store itself away.

I have given him the Atkins book and I am encouraging him in every way I can. Between my other friend and myself, we have lost a collective total of about 31 pounds. How could we lose and he gain without cheating?

How should I help encourage this guy? He is ADDICTED to foods and sugar. (I know - I know. He has to want to help himself. Any other suggestions?)

-Rick
Sponsored Links