View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 07:18

Plan: protein power
Stats: 149/142/132
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Be encouraged

Hi Tams! Welcome to the board! Be encouraged! Most PCOS women I know have found low-carbing a life-saver. Not only do they lose weight but many of their other symptoms are lessened or even completely eliminated. I personally have found that low-carbing alone (no medications) has completely contolled my PCOS. Others are not so fortunate, BUT they have found that meds combined with low-carbing have greatly helped them.

I was diagnosed 5 years ago now and my MD basically said "you just have to live with it". I don't think meds (like metformin) were a common treatment back then. Well, I stumbled into low-carbing "by accident". I had no idea it would help my PCOS, I just wanted to lose weight. Not only did I very easily lose weight, but most of my others symptoms went away! My acne went away, I started having regular and normal menstrual periods, my hirsutism stopped progressing,etc! Most PCOSers have high levels of insulin - and a low-carb diet brings insulin levels under control.

I originally lost 20 pounds and have kept it off. Since then I have followed low-carb in "maintenance". But I have recently dropped back into stricter low-carb to try and lose some more weight.

I wish you success! LauraLynn