View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 10:13

Plan: Southbeach
Stats: 148/145/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 23%

The show on CBS was 48 hours, which was just a general overview of the state of weight loss in the country. Very little about low-carb stuff, except that a few Atkins folks they profiled were doing well. The show was spotty, without any consistent analysis -- just taking the market on weight-loss products (supplements and ephedra, etc) to task, and doing a blurb on a rogue acupuncturist who's using ear accupressure points and starvation to get his clients slim. I was more disturbed by their lack of analysis about more middle-of-the-road approaches: one group of friends was on opti-fast which I thought had been completely discredited by the medical establishment. Remember Oprah and her wheel barrow of lard?

There wasn't much helpful info -- the 20/20 show was more comprehensive.

Regarding their emphasis that we lower animal fat intake -- I think it will be a long time before an increase in consumption of animal fats is accepted by the arbiters of diet, at least in America. It's one thing to say, "oh, it's OK to slather those veggies in olive oil," but quite another to say "heavy cream? sure! Lots of it!"

In my cynical PMS state this morning (forgive me...it will pass), while I don't think the animal fats are so bad if we are making sure that we eat lots of fresh foods, veggies and "good" oils, I can imagine most Americans will take permission to eat lots of animal fats to mean that they can go back to McDonalds every day and ignore all the other stuff about fiber, important nutrients and balanced eating. That WILL do someone in I suspect.

Just my thoughts -- but can't you a lot of people just missing the point entirely? What do folks in other countries on this board think?

And now I'm gonna get a refill on my decaf coffee with cream and fix myself an omlette...

Abby