#2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 01:45
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 330/330/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Excellent!

I sat down and watched the program after I read your note.

I do have to give my opinion on it as a once tried and failed Atkins and now a happy Schwarzbein person... I'd say the Zone one too... but I didn't understand what I was reading, so I didn't even try that one.

The show - I was a little amused that for their opening scene they showed, french fries, hamburgers and most stuff that even low carbers can't eat.

They made good points about if a low protein, high carb diet was so wonderful then why were the majority of Americans overweight? They focused on Atkins, however, I think they should have shown more than that one and devoted more time in showing people who were living that way of life.

Dateline, (I think it was Dateline) showed one last week about this (which is why I started looking into it again). And it was a reporter for the show that had tried it. He had done Atkins for a year then stayed with low carb afterward and said he was happier for it.

He strongly admitted all of this, while 20/20 just said at the end of theirs that maybe it was something to check into in the future.

I did record tonight's program so I can show it to my sister. She has taken all fats out of her diet and is living on dry toast and cornflakes to keep her weight down. I warned her early on that giving up fats was only going to make her ill. She didn't and still doesn't believe me and now she has gone through getting her gallbladder removed and she's extremely depressed.

If that's not proof right there, I don't know what is. Convincing her is another story though.

I hope the people you work with watched. My mom watched it and I asked her if she was going to do it too (she just finished reading tSP) and she said sure, it looked smart.

Anyway, thanks again for the heads up on it. I would have missed it otherwise.