#5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
OK, I am still not clear on why exacly one should use ALA. ALA functions as a powerful antioxidant, combating freeradical in the body. Also, Lipoic Acid normalizes blood sugar levels.

Lipoic Acid (300 - 600 mg per day) reduces Insulin Resistance (i.e. it increases Insulin sensitivity).

What does this have to do with CKD?? Furthermore, why would one want to take this after a workout, as someone had suggested to help 'spike insulin levels.' I don't see any evidence as this being a property of ALA, granted it is a very healthy product with many uses, I just don't see how it fits in the CKD, other than maybe help establishing Ketosis after carb-up.

-I'll just answer your question with what Lyle McDonald said about it in his book ('The Ketogenic Diet'):

"Alpha lipoic acid is a substance which acts as an anti-oxidant as well as improving insulin sensitivity and the removal of glucose from the bloodstream. Although human data on the effects of alpha lipoic acid is limited, anecdotal evidence suggests that lipoic acid is far more potent than either chromium or vanadyl. In this respect it is considered one of the best supplements to use on a carb-up- Typical doses for lipoic acid during carb-ups are 1.2-2 grams total taken in divided doses."

-I don't know if this answers your question(s). If it doesn't, let me just tell you 'it works' (it just does).