Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 11:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

hi Margaret,

First I want to say thanks for your very informative posts about thyroid hormone replacement and effects.

About the email addresses ... our database automatically changes the "at" symbol to "~" ... This is done to protect YOU from professional spammers who use "robot" programs to scan bulletin boards for email addresses. Our forum is VERY popular so you can bet we get a lot of these spam-bots.

I would also like to comment on this:
Quote:
I've heard a lot of talk about coconut oil, but I've never personally tried it. I shy away from coconut and palm ANYTHING, because they are the bad fats [saturated] and they clog up your arteries.
Saturated fat is only linked with high blood lipids and heart disease when it's consumed as part of a diet that's also high in CARBOHYDRATES.

As for the tropical oils -- palm kernel, coconut, shea -- the studies done on these particular fats used refined, processed forms, as they are used in the food industry to make nice flaky pastries, crispy biscuits and non-dairy cream substitutes such as coffee whitener and whipped topping. Pure, unprocessed coconut oil contains a number of beneficial fatty acids which are proving to have positive health benefits. Medium chain triglycerides (MCT's) have positive effects on thyroid function and thermogenesis. You can read more about it here.

(note - in the linked article, it's stated that MCT's are derived from the hydrolysis of coconut oil. This is NOT the same thing as hydrogenation, which turns it into harmful TRANSfat.)

You're wise to avoid products from the grocery that have coconut or other tropical fats in them, as it's sure to be hydrogenated and refined. However, pure, unprocessed coconut oil is now available in many health food stores. If you choose to use coconut oil, this is the product to buy.

Happy Low-carbing!

Doreen