Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts & WW
Stats: 150/127/132
BF:
Progress: 128%
Default Thyroid & Weight Loss

Sweet Loren & Quilter,

Once I was appropriately medicated, my weight came off rather easily. Appropriate medication includes both a T4 AND a T3 replacement . . . most women on thyroid medication only receive a T4 supplement, which misses the T3 that controls weight loss and energy level. My mother was on T4 for 20 years - after I found my doctor [Dr. Kent Holtorf, out of California] I flew my mom in to see him - he's amazing. He put her on a T3 replacement, and she has lost 11 pounds in two months.

So - that shows how much medication makes a difference in weight loss. The medication alone won't do it, though, if you don't follow a diet plan that works for you. I tried to eliminate my carbohydrates entirely, but since I am a vegetarian that was really hard for me and wasn't working. [note: I was a vegetarian before I developed thyroid problems, and started to gain weight]. Some friends from my office were on Weight Watchers, and I decided to try it with them. The points plan really worked for me.

NOTE: one of the women on Weight Watchers has a thyroid problem, and before chatting with me was only on Synthroid, a T4 replacement. I got her to see my doctor, and she started a new medication including T3. In three weeks on her new medication, she lost more weight than she had lost on Weight Watchers in an entire year!!

I've heard a lot of talk about coconut oil, but I've never personally tried it. I shy away from coconut and palm ANYTHING, because they are the bad fats [saturated] and they clog up your arteries.

I tried to write my e-mail address on this site, but the "at" sign came up as a squiggly line "~" sooooooo my e-mail address is THYRIODatJUSTICE.COM . . . it's not a web page, although with the mess up it comes across as one. If you would like to drop me an e-mail, I wouldn't mind sharing my research on thyroid problems and weight loss with either one of you!

Margaret