View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 12:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Jay, when I first read in PPLifeplan about the "dangers" of stored iron, I immediately threw out my multivites with iron, and got an iron-free supplement. Since then, I've been diagnosed with very low iron stores, and now must take an extra iron supplement.

The caution against too high iron stores is directed mostly at men and post-menopausal women. Younger women who are still menstruating generally do not need to worry, as the monthly blood losses help to keep things in balance. In fact, there's a large % of young, pre-menopausal women walking around with iron DEFICIENCY because for years and years, we've been eating lowfat diets that are low in red meats, egg yolks and other sources of easily absorbed iron. As well, if you have a history of heavy periods, this can also deplete the iron stores.

Too low iron is just as bad as too high .. in one of the studies showing the link between too high iron levels and heart attack death (in men and women over age 67) ... there was also found to be significant risk with levels that were too low. I'll post an article from Health Scout News about the iron controversy.

Don't guess. Yes, a serum ferritin is an expenisve blood test. But, if you tell your doctor what you've told here, past history and concerns with donating blood, and any other symptoms you might have, then the test is warranted.

Good luck to you.

Doreen