View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/190.5/180 Male 75 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 91%
Default Question about certain foods during induction????

Hello all........
First off, Let me say that I am totally new to Atkins, and for the most part new to any formal "diet" program. Sure in the past I have tried to eat "healthy" and not so much, but that has been the extent of it. More about me later....

Ok, my questions:
(Remember I am only two/three days into Induction and want to do it right...)

Can I use mustard and how about Mayo, even if they have a little sugar in them????

Salad Dressings: I really like creamy dressings, and the normally max I can put on the salad (like all of the two tablespoon serving). Any store bought brand ok??? Regular bands ok if they fall within the carb limit?

Is sugar free jello brand jello bad for me??? I wasn't sure, but then I read something on the Atkins website that said stay away from it because of the sweetner, aspartame/ Nutrasweet. I had to throw out my freshly made treat without even a taste of it. Question, is there any jello type product that is ok? Along the same lines, how about something to help my sweet tooth, which isn't really all that sweet. Remember I am in the Induction phase and really want this to work.

Ok, how about those "bars" ? I have read a little here on these boards about them and the "hidden " carbs. I also have read Dr. Atkins reply about his bars. So what's the deal, can I have one? maybe daily during Induction??? I know that the Atkins ones might not taste that great, but because of my desire to "do this right" I am willing to stick with the "name brand" Heck I am even on my way today, driving an hour, to pick up the Atkins supplements. I really don't want any "short cuts" to interfer with my test of Atkins/ Industion period.

Ok, how about sausage????? I know that alot of the specialty sausages/ factory made will have sugar in them, plus maybe even fillers. My home town butcher is known for his home made bulk sausage. I asked him, without getting too noisey, if it had any sugar in it. His reply was yes, but not too much, mainly just salt. So, looking at the carb counter lists, I think I came up with pork sausage being two carbs. Is that because of/ including/ the small amount of sugar??? Is it ok during induction???? I read somewhere Dr Atkins say that store bought mayo was ok even with a little sugar as long as you watch the carbs, Is this the same with store bought salad dressing, with a little sugar but ok carbs? If the I watch the carbs, count them towards my 20 carb limit, are these ok? So some serious questions on those items.

Alright, I hope that everyone out there can give me some great advice, and we can all move down this road together. I am aware of the concept of "hidden carbs" and know that this website has the hidden carb inspector function. I guess my main question is how strict is induction???? As long as you stay within your 20 carb daily limit, will a little sugar in the form of mayo, sausage, etc really harm my efforts. I am not saying to go hog wild with these, because I know we are trying to keep the insulan levels steady without spikes, but do I really have to start making my own mayo and grinding my own sausage???

Looking forward to any replies...

Somewhere in Kansas.......
Sponsored Links