#3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/210/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:39.5/38.8/25
Progress: 35%

Hi,

I feel the same way about my son (he is 16 months old now) he & I have some of the same food allergies (casein - milk protein) being the biggest, and I always share my food with him. I tried a couple of the low-carb bars, and I made the no-bake cheesecake dessert with splenda, but now that I've done some research and talked with my Naturopathic Physician about these sweeteners, I think I'll just go back to making most things myself, or buying prepared foods from Natures (that contain concentrated fruit sweetener, honey, molasses or brown rice syrup.)

Before starting LCing - I was using several sweeteners that I listed above, but these sweeteners contain more carbs than I need right now (I'm on induction) but when I lose the weight and get back to eating a few carbs, I'll use these sweeteners. For now I'm limiting my "malitol, sucralose, splenda, etc." intake to a few treats (in small portions) that I get from the low-carb store . . . and I just eat them in the evening as my dessert, when my son is already in bed. To the best of my knowledge, stevia is really the safest bet . . . I might use some of this in baking for my family - I loved it when I made strawberry shortcake (when I wasn't LCing!) and it flavored everything, including the whip cream really nicely.

Take care,