Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Re: Three Things

Quote:
Originally posted by gary
To BillW,

1) What in general is their diet plan? It seems that most of the diabetic diets are talked about on this site.

2) How much protein do we really eat with Atkins anyway. Not all of us eat gobs and gobs of meat. I don't eat any more meat on Atkins so I am not eating more protein now than before. I had this same argument with a friend's wife. She kept telling me but you eat all that protein. I said I have the same amount say one chicken breast for dinner. She said well that is protein! I said well how is it more? She just blew a fuse I have another friend who is a bright analog electrical engineer. He just rambles on to me about how all that protein is going to damage my kidneys. What all that protein?

3) There are so many misperceptions about Atkins does this happen with other low carb diets. Say you are on Sugar Busters which I have seen many people on this site say their doctors recommended it for diabetes. Do people talk crazy about Sugar Busters?

Keep up the good work!

Hi Gary,

1) The diabetic diet that was recommended for me was <30g fat 80g protein or less and about 200g carbs. The typical lowfat high carb diet.

2)I usually consume between 100g and 150g of protein each day. I walk 3 miles daily Monday-Friday. I lift weight 3 days per week and take the weekends off. Your body needs extra protein to repair any muscle breakdown from exercising. I could see someone who is not doing any exercise maybe shouldn't eat more than 100g of protein. Where is any study that indicates what the maximum intake should be? So far no-one has been able to answer that question for me. As long as my uranalysis tests show negative on the protein i'm doing fine. BTW(my uranalysis was positive for protein when I was diagnosed with diabetes but since I have got my bg's controlled with atkins my last 2 tests came back negative.

3)In the beginning my doc told me to read the sugar buster book to understand how the body dealt with whole wheat type foods vs refined flours and grains but said don't follow the diet. The more research I did the more I realized I needed to be LC'ing. So I started atkins and have never turned back. My last 2 visits to the doc's office were eye opening experiences for her and she is now more open minded about LC'ing. She said she has never seen anyone go from a 12HBA1C to 6.1HBA1C in 7 months and was able to be med free as of 2 weeks ago.

I feel like Atkins has cured my Diabetes.

If this is going to kill me then I am going to die happy.

Bill