#5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 19:42
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Barbecue Sauce

I got this Barbecue Spareribs recipe from "The Schwarzbein Principle Cookbook". This book is definately worth the money. The recipes are excellent and very different. My DH, the sugar addicted condiment king, even loved this recipe! It also tastes really good mixed with mayonnaise and served as a burger topping.

Although the recipe is for Barbecued Spareribs, I use this sauce as a general barbecue sauce.

Makes 4 servings: 57 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate

Barbecued Spareribs:

2 T pure-pressed virgin olive oil
1/2 c chopped onion
4 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup tomato paste **
1 c water
1/4 c red wine vinegar
2 T dijon mustard
1/2 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
dash cayenne pepper

3 pounds baby back ribs

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and water and mix well. Add vinegar, mustard, celery seeds, thyme, chili powder, lemon juice, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes. Taste, and adjust seasonings.

Brush sauce over ribs. Marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour or, preferably, overnight.

Prepare barbecue or preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Barbecue over hot coals or roast on a greased rack with a tinfoil-lined baking sheet underneath. Cook until tender, basting and turning frequently, until cooked to your liking, about 15 to 20 minutes.

** I also used unsweetened ketchup in place of the tomato paste and water when I ran out of tomato paste in the past. It was really nice if you prefer less tomato taste.