View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 19:51

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Deb,

Actually, I've never heard of a trans fat breakdown anywhere.

Dr Eades in Protein Power LP says on p. 61 that trans fat is "an unnatural, processed fat" and is "widely used for baking, turning up in all kinds of processed foods" "largest contributors ... are white bread, rolls, crackers, doughnuts, cookies, and cakes."

p. 80 includes french fries, potato chips, margarines, salad oils, bakery goods, corn chips, and candies. "sandwich cookies, vanilla wafers, animal crackers, and honey graham crackers."

The one ingredient to look for on all labels to find trans fat is "Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil" (meaning also partially hydrogenated soy oil and partially hydrogenated corn oil, etc.)

Vegetable oils that are in clear, plastic bottles and that do not need to be refrigerated are almost always partially hydrogenated. They shoot the oil full of hydrogen atoms. This makes the oil more rigid, increases its shelf-life to almost unlimited, and makes an unnatural oil. So unless the oil needs to be in a dark glass bottle, they've preserved it by altering the fat to an unnatural trans fat. Our bodies use these rigid unnatural oils in our cells and it hurts everything from our immune system to our cholesterol levels.

Stick margarine is pure trans fat. The article saying low-fat margarine is better than butter is only saying this because they are afraid of butter's saturated fat and because a low-fat spread will have less trans fat because it has less fat altogether. But you can be that the small amount of fat it has is 100% trans fat.

I believe these articles are wrong in saying meat and dairy have trans fat. Since everything I've read shows that trans fat is a man-made fat, I don't see how this can be true. This is my next avenue for research.