Thread: Couch Potato
View Single Post
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 19:57

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 233/207/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 79%

I used to believe the only exercise that was worthwhile was extreme cardiovascular and long-distance work. I was a bicycle racer in my younger years, switched to cross-country ski racing and running after moving to northern Minnesota. Unfortunately, I had a heart attack at 43 (10 years ago) and was really discouraged about the whole exercising thing. Then I got my dogs...1, then 2,3, 4 and finally a 5th (a beautiful little boy that was abandoned in the woods last fall.) Anyway, I have been walking at least every other day for an hour for the past several years. Not only is my heart in good shape, but I can hop on my bike for a quick 20 miler without any after effects of the weekend warrior.

I have come to believe in walking as exercise. I walk year-round...at 20 below zero, in snowstorms, rain, heat. It really doesn't matter. My motivation? Five dogs! They have become accustomed to their regular walk and won't let me get away with skipping it. There is nothing quite as enjoyable to me as watching my dogs running and playing on the snowmobile trails and logging roads I use for my walks. I highly recommend getting a dog if you are short on motivation.