View Single Post
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 09:42

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Default Broad-spectrum sunscreens

It is also important to note that many, if not most sunscreens do not effectively protect against UVA rays. UVB rays cause burning, so if we use a UVB protector, we probably won't burn, but we WILL get a dose of UVA, which causes cancer and a host of other bad stuff. And that person sitting at their desk by the window, or driving with their windows rolled up is getting a nice dose of UVA radiation if they are not wearing a broad-spectrum sunscreen. That is why dermatologists find more cancerous moles and lesions on left arms than right arms in this country. As I said before (ad nauseum!) if you don't apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen in the morning, you are exposing your body to UVA rays that you don't want. Don't even get me started on tanning beds! I know so many people who have gotten in trouble using those things!

When you buy a sunscreen, read the ingredients carefully. The only true broad-spectrum ingredients are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide (physical blocks that will leave a bit of a white sheen on your skin -- safer for kids) or avobenzone, known commercially as Parsol 1789 (chemical block). If the label does not include these ingredients, you can safely assume that only about 50% of the UVA rays will be blocked.

Since I'm on a roll, I'll continue. Any SPF under 15 is a joke, and most responsible dermatologists are now suggesting that your sunscreen have at least an spf of 30. Sunscreen only lasts about 2 hours, and after that, should be reapplied. A "dose" of sunscreen is about an ounce, or about a shot glass full. In this house, we go through about two bottles a week! After 5:30 or 6PM, I allow my children to be outside without sunscreen, but before that, it's sunscreen or stay inside. Applying sunscreen is so much a part of their lives that it's like brushing their teeth. They are both very healthy children with beautiful, non-freckled clear skin.

Gary, I moved here from Southern NJ about 4 years ago, and I saw first-hand what sun worshipping did to my friends. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!