View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 13:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
So for example, tomorrow, since i'm biking to my volleyball game (1/2 hour) then playing beach volleyball (2 hours) then biking home, i could get away with a few more carbs.

Most definitely. More carbs and more protein (if you can manage that!).

With 3 meals a day and few snacks I estimate you're eating around 128g of protein a day - you could stand more. The .6g per lb of LBM formula is for the sedentary, you're using .7g or around there right? Try .8 on the days you engage in a lot of exercise. (Frankly I do 1g - 1.5g per lb of Body Weight on lifting days)

Quote:
I must be getting my information from the wrong sources, or else i'm doing something wrong. I'm having 3 meals a day, plus some snacks (usually a few nuts, or maybe an apple or peach)

Not necessarily - you're eating as we have been conditioned to eat, 3 large meals and a few snacks. Eating 6 or 7 'meals' a day is new to most people, but once you try it, it becomes very natural. By protioning your macronutrients out throughout the day you are constantly supplying your body with what it needs to function optimally. Metabolism is raised and blood sugar/insulin is stabilized. Snacks and 'main meals' lose meaning - every time you sit down to eat you're having roughly the same amount of calories (and macronutrients - so there are no spikes from carbs alone or carbs all in one meal).

Quote:
In the shakes, if i put milk, berries, or peaches in there, won't i end up with some large ammount of carbs?

Berries arent bad - peaches aren't either (around 11g for a small one if I remember from last years' peach season). Milk however is unnecessary. Use water, if you need that creaminess, add cream. Remember, fat is not the enemy. BTW, are you subtracting your fiber grams? One cup of raspberries may have 29g of carbs but 14 of those are fiber (and do not count).

Not sure about the Subway numbers - are there croutons in the salads? I know that at Wendy's croutons are 9 of the 11g of carbs in one of their salads.

Quote:
How long are proteins in the body for? e.g. for how long are they available as an energy and muscle building source? I know we're supposed to spread them out over the day, but is it important to have the protein before excercise?

Proteins are used for muscle repair and growth, for enzyme creation, for hormones. The exact amount of time ? Not sure - but you can be sure I'm going to try to find out. Protein does empty from the stomach slower than carbs, but not as slowly as fat does. Combining the two (fat and protein) makes the process take even more time.

As for having protein before working out - yes, it's a good idea. Especially if muscle growth is your goal. It is also important to have some after working out to provide your body what it needs to make repairs (or it will go scavanging elsewhere in your body to find this).

How about eggs for breakfast? 3 or 4 with some cottage cheese makes for a good protein punch. (But I agree with you on the shakes - they do make for a good on the run first thing in the morning meal)

Cheers,
Nat