Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 00:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/210/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:39.5/38.8/25
Progress: 35%

Hi,

I'm a newbie to these forums - but I had a thought to share

Over the last few months I've moved over to much healthier living and feel 100% better for it! I started this process because I wanted to decrease my chronic weekly migraine attacks - and ended up getting that and much more!

I've only just begun (2 days) Atkins low-carbing diet.

What I do with my son (who is 15 months old) is offer him protein with each meal or snack, and give him high-carb foods, but non-refined sugar treats. He usually has a balanced meal 3x a day & 2-3 snacks with soy milk. I make Pamela's brownies that contain brown rice syrup, and both my son and I eat Trurtle Mountain's soy frozen dessert (which is fruit sweetened.) And yes these items contain carbs - but not huge amounts - one serving (1/2 cup) of soy frozen dessert has 5g Fat, 25g carbs (13g sugar) and 3g protein.

IMO we all need some level of "sugars," or carbs that are turned into glucose - sugar in all forms is not the enemy (IMO of course.) My son is 15 months old, very tall and thin and actually has no baby fat left . . . if I fed him LC he would not thrive - he doesn't have enough fat stores to deal with low-carbing.

What I offer him now is as much whole foods, nutritional and typically organic as he will eat. The sweets (and other foods) I share with him have good nutritional value, are completely devoid of refined sugars in any form, and most certainly contain a balanced amount of carbs.

I just want to say that I am new to the whole world of LCing, but I think I am making good health decisions for my whole family, by allowing healthy sweets and completely avoiding processed-high refined sugar foods.

Cheers,