View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 15:35

Plan: protein power
Stats: 149/142/132
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Hi somersizer!

Hi Somersizer! Welcome! I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago. My MD basically told me there was no treatment, just live with it. I think the use of medications (like metformin) to treat PCOS was still new back then. ANYHOW...I stumbled upon the "low carb" diet concept. I had no idea it would help my PCOS at first. Just wanted to lose weight!! Well, not only did I lose weight easily but almost all of my PCOS symptoms disapeared! (acne, overweight, irreguler menstruation, etc). I have followed low- carb in "maintenance" for a couple years now and kept my weight off and my PCOS symptoms have stayed away too!! So, a low-carb diet alone, (no medications) has controlled my PCOS.

Right now, I have dropped back into "phase one" of Protein Power to lose some more weight.

I think the Suzanne Summers program is NOT as low carb as some of the other programs. You may want to look into Protein Power or Dr. Adkins. Since you have PCOS - it is even more important for you to get your insulin levels under control. And Suzanne Summers program may not be low enough carb to do that for you. HOWEVER, I could be wrong here- I have not actually read the Suzanne Summers book , I have only heard things about it. (anyone else agree or disagree?) So this is just my two-cents worth!!