View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 17:27

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Okay, I read the new Protein Power LifePlan. And it's a toss-up whether you take the fish oil or the flaxseed oil.

Fish oil has the benefit of already being converted into omega-3 fatty acids so your body doesn't have to do the work, but fish oil capsules like Atkin's Essential Fatty Acids go rancid especially those in a plastic bottle. And when they are rancid, they work against you! Omega-3 really only is made by plants, but it's the precursor (or first stage type) of omega-3. An animal needs to change the plant omega-3 to the finished omega-3 fatty acid which fish do. So fish oil is the finished type EPA and DHA omega-3, so our body doesn't have to work to bring it to finished form. However, eating too many of the larger fish can give you mercury poisoning (and you'd have to eat a lot to get all your omega-3).

Remember flaxseed oil is really GOOD for you (it's the precursor to omega-3 fatty acids which means that it becomes omega-3 in your body--if you are eating right and are healthy) Omega-3 is a substance which we would die without. When they do tests on animals and deny them omega-3 fatty acids (whether it's the flaxseed oil precursor or the finished fish oil omega-3) they die within a month--unfortunately they tried this on dogs in the early 1900s and the dogs died. Flaxseed oil is only bad for you if it is rancid. It usually never is rancid when you buy it if it is oil in a glass bottle (especially if the bottle is green or darker colored). It usually only goes rancid after you open it. So refrigerate it after you open it. If you buy the capsules and they are in a plastic container then they are more likely to be rancid. So much to know! But if you bite a capsule and it tastes really, really awful. It's bad. The same is true for other omega-3 capsules like "salmon oil", EPA and DHA or other fish oils. Be sure to buy in a glass bottle and refrigerate.

In fact all oils we buy should be in dark glass bottles and refrigerated after opening. Olive oil especially (which is Omega-9).

So the very best way to take your omega-3 is still fish oil if it's not rancid. You can do this buy eating sardines which are so small they don't contain much mercury if any. Or the next best way is by buying cod liver oil in a dark glass bottle so that you can taste when it gets rancid. Since I hate both these ways, I'm taking EPA and DHA in capsule form from a dark glass bottle that I've put in the refrigerate and I cut a capsule every few days to see if it is rancid.

They don't make it easy, do they!
Actually it's not lowcarbing that's expensive. We should have been taking all these supplements and eating all this stuff all along! Plus the medical bills get really expensive when you don't eat right, so it's a trade-off.