View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 10:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

As an obese person, I am not offended by this question. I think it is something, while uncomfortable, we need to ask ourselves. Is it genetics? Yo-Yo dieting? Emotional Eating? All of the above? Something else?

For me, I think it is a combination. Eating carbs makes me hungrier and craving more carbs, then my body says "Oh boy, give me more still!" and I did. For me carbohydrates are the enemy, they take away some of the self control I didn't think I had, but actually do. Then there is the "high" you get off eating sugar, and when you are down, you want to medicate yourself to feel better - eating a candy bar.

My family is prone to high blood pressure, insulin problems and being overweight. Fortunately for me, I've found my solution/savior - lowered carbohydrate eating. I feel satisfied when full, I don't crave things when I am not hungry. I also don't feel the need anymore to "clean my plate" for all those starving children. How is my overeating going to help starving children?

I think another poster hit another nail on the head - carbohydrate rich foods are cheaper, and easier - and more widely acceptable as "healthy" foods.

Dr Atkins was the start of my healing, fighting those ingrained behaviors and thoughts is all me - and is as individualistic as each of us. Each of us has our genetic makeup, each has their own emotional responses. Some have no emotional eating problems, which is wonderful! Some of us do, and it is up to each of us as individuals to find out what makes ourselves tick.