View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 14:42

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default An interesting dilemma

The problem is that the genie is now out of the bottle. For the first time in your life you know exactly what is going to happen. You know the link between what you eat ( it is always a free choice) the insulin reaction and the consequent fat depositing or fat burning depending on the amount of carbohydrate in your diet.

You know that it is not low fat that will keep your weight down. In fact if you increase you carbs significantly your fat consumption will probably be too high.

Perhaps you are at a weight now that you are comfortable with. The trick on holiday is to maintain that level. No doubt you will be more active on holiday. That will help.

But remember, even if you choose another low carb plan, one that you would regard as less rigid, they all have one thing in common....they are all low carb.

Atkins is not compulsory, LC is not compulsory. It is just a class in healthy eating. Nor is low carb...no carb.

So enjoy your vacation and don't worry. In restaurants you will have a real choice. If you blast away at the high carb, white , processed foods every day. So what. You will only put back on some of the weight you have lost.

You know how to lose it again. But bear in mind that the second time round it is just that little bit harder. The body remembers.

My advice is to enjoy yourself but use your LC knowledge to make selective choices of what you eat. Spread the yummies out and avoid the big carb binge.

Go for wine as your alcohol of choice or spirits.

When you come home after vacation. Take stock. What is the damage. Be honest with yourself. You might need a quick induction week.

Then look at some of the other plans, like CAD. Do this when you come back not now. You are no more going to stick to a new plan as the old plan while you are away. You will find a plan in the LC family that you can live with. The essence is to discover how and to what extent carbohydrate affects you.

There are many people who eat and are not insulin resistant and do not put on weight and eat like there is no tomorrow. I wish I was one of them but I am not. alas.

Enjoy your vacation. Come back and talk to us when you get back. We will be here if you need to rant again.