View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 21:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 218/198.75/130
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Turkey waddle neck-- possible solutions?!?

Hi Cordie,
I think a lot of us know exactly what you're talking about. I'm not sure if it's only low-carbing that creates the "Turkey Neck Syndrome" or any diet that is successful. (I wouldn't know, because even though I've almost continuously been on diets since I was 17 years old, variations of low-carbing are the only diets that have actually ever worked for me.)

In the 70's my friends and I went on a VB6KL diet. That consisted of a low-carb diet, with a teaspoon of apple cider VINEGAR ("V") added to a glass of water and consumed with each meal. We also took a KELP tablet, ("K"), and a vitamin B6 tablet daily. If I remember right, the vinegar, kelp, and B6 were supposed to increase your metabolism to help you lose weight quickly.

But the "L" stood for a "LECITHIN" tablet taken daily, which was supposed to keep the skin from becoming too loose as you lost weight. I didn't get wrinkles while I was on the diet-- but I'm not sure whether it was because of the lecithin-- or simply because I was 20 years old at the time. But it couldn't hurt to try it.

But something that does seem to help me now that I'm nearing the golden age of 50, are lotions containing vitamin E. There is one in particular that I've been very surprised that it works! It is not advertised as a face cream, or wrinkle remover, but-- by George-- everytime I test it by using it on only half my neck-- it really does seem to tighten my loose skin on my neck within just a couple of days! It is "Moisture-Rich Body Lotion" by Bath and Body Works. The bottle says it contains Vitamins E & C, and Aloe Vera, and Grape Seed extract. It's a little pricey-- $9 for 8 oz., but it really seems to work for me!!

(Don't tell anyone though, OK? It seems like whenever I find something that works, and everyone starts using it, the company first raises the price, and then they change the formula so that it doesn't work anymore!)

A masque I've found that I've been quite happy with is from Taut Cosmetics. Evidently the guy who owns the company is the personal make-up artist to Cher and Meg Ryan, among others. From what I understand, years ago he was in charge of make-up on a movie in which he had to make a number of people look like they had severe burns. At the end of filming each day, when the extras would remove the masque he had applied in the morning to make their skin look burned, the people would find that their wrinkles had diminished or disappeared. This happened so consistently that the make-up artist bought the company that made the masque, and now distributes the product only through the internet I think...
Anyway, this product is pricey too, but I have found that it really works for me! I've never had so many people compliment my skin as when I've used this masque! It's a great ego builder!

Anyway, you might want to try it. His website is http://www.tautcosmetics.com.

But this too is just our little secret, right low-carbers? Shhhhh....

Mae West
"The curve is more powerful than the sword." The Other Mae West