View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 17:20

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%

Hi there,
Sorry that you have joined the Glucophage users. I was diagnosed in Sept. of 1999 and put on 500 mg/day of Glucophage. I was SO STUPID that I figured that since I was on medication, I could just continue my self-destructive eating habits.

Over the past three years I have been on a slow journey to discovering that medication may slow the progress of the disease, but it does not cure it. Now is a superb opportunity for you to learn as much as you can.

Although everyone is different, my fatigue went away in large part (another reason why I was not motivated to repair my eating). I think that when I was diagnosed my "presenting problem" was fatigue: all those afternoon naps!

I think that if you read as many books as you can and if you read and do research on the internet, you will learn a lot more than I allowed myself to do. I urge you not to be, like me, the proverbial ostrich hiding its head in the sand.

My blood sugars are now excellent: they stay in the 80s and 90s since I started low-carb eating. I make my carb choices with care: I have chosen fruit for my carbs and am careful to see which ones work better for me. Bye Bye bananas; but strawberries, 1/2 a peach, some grapes eaten with my meals have not affected my blood sugar adversely.

Of course my body is probably still in shock and withdrawal from all the junk food.

I have a 30 pound weight loss just over the past few months that came about from just cutting out the junk food.

I think also that sugar and carb cravings do diminish rapidly. The first couple of days I felt a little uneasy and anxious: impossible to say if that was physiological or psychological (maybe a little of both). But that sense is gone.

Good luck to you!
Natalie