View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 17:20

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Welcome to the forum, Maya. I haven't tried progesterone cream yet, but after a few months on a BC pill that is based on progesterone instead of estrogen (like most of them are), I am feeling much much better. However, I am planning to go off the pill in a few weeks (when I finish the current course) to see if low-carbing has made any difference. If I have problems, I will then try progesterone cream before I go back on the pill.

Ohara, here's the travesty: The doctors have known about PCOS for over 40 years. But instead of testing women for it, they tell them to lose weight and everything will be fine. I have been the victim of that attitude since I was a teenager (when I started my period I was already suffering from PCOS). It took almost 30 years for a doctor to finally take me seriously and look at something other than my weight as the cause of my problem. And even now my internist and my GYN don't agree (GYN says yes).

Now, I agree that they didn't know then what they know now about treatment. In fact I read one article a few years ago that said that women with PCOS have it because they have a problem with their sexual identity (emotionally that is). In other words, we give it to ourselves. But what makes me very angry is that they have known about this syndrome long enough to research it, but the only reason it is finally getting some attention is the Internet.

As soon as we started communicating and finding out that many more women have it than anyone ever even conceived of, doctors started taking us seriously, sort of. It's still a struggle to get a doctor to test and then admit that you have it. They still just want to send you home with a diet or put you on the pill (and the wrong one at that) to get you out of their hair.

Sorry, I just realized that I'm ranting. When I was first told I "might" have PCOS it was such a relief until I started thinking about it and all the doctors who had done everything in their power to make me feel like there was something wrong with me as a person that was causing my menstrual problems. From this experience I have developed a very jaundiced opinion of doctors and unless they are willing to talk about something other than my weight, I can't give them the time of day.

So back on topic: I have read very good things about progesterone cream and I want to know also -- does it work as birth control or just as a regulator?

;-Deb