View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 15:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Cool A big thank you to fleadogs

Fleadogs, your suggestion to use cocoa butter was the right answer! I ordered some immediately after reading your post and it arrived a few days later.

I was in too much of a hurry to try adding the cream, but I will do so this week. The first time I just used 1/2 ounce of unsweetened chocolate, 1 ounce of cocoa butter, and sucralose. Well, I mean to tell you it tasted sooooo good and had only 2 grams of carbs, and I had a really hard time leaving any for DH to try.

The only problem was that when I left it out to see if it melted at room temperature, it did, so I had to put it in the fridge.

The second time (today) I added half an ounce of paraffin to 1 ounce of chocolate and 2 ounces of cocoa butter. It still didn't stay solid at room temp, although it was a little better.

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions? I was going to try adding a little more paraffin, because it doesn't affect the taste at all.

Would tempering the chocolate make a difference? Is that how candymakers solve the problem? I'm not even sure I could do this at home without a special and probably expensive machine!

But if I have to store them in the fridge I will, because they are so much better than the low carb chocolate bars and I don't have to guess at how many carbs are in them!

I found a better source for cocoa butter than the one I just used, and tomorrow morning I'm going to order a lot more.

I just wish the people who make Splenda would sell the liquid form here, so everyone could make these with 2 grams of carbs per bar. With 1/2 cup of Splenda each 1-1/2 ounce (2 ounces with the paraffin) bar would have 12 grams of carbs, but if you can keep yourself to half a bar at a time, that would still be amazingly low carb for such a luxurious treat. As a matter of fact, I don't eat more than half a bar a day, even with the low carb count. That's usually because I share them with DH, who loves this latest version!

Somehow knowing that this (or any other sweet) is a legal treat and that I don't have to feel guilty and I can have more tomorrow makes it easier to not go crazy and eat four of them a day.

Karla