View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-02, 20:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi Dollygrrl,

Your calculations at your goal of 105 lb should be expected and are correct.

Quote:
I figure if I wanted to get down to 105 and have a 22% BF I would have to have about 82 lbs lean mass and 23 lbs fat. But I don't think I want to lose 23 lbs of lean mass . . . do I??

You will lose lean body mass for several reasons.

1. As you gained weight your lean body mass increased in order to carry and support that weight. This amount of muscle will not be required as you lose weight. The body automatically adjust for your new weight.

2. As you gained weight your body was placed in an anabolic metabolic condition (building). This is the method used by professional bodybuilders. They eat to maintain an anabolic metabolic condition to build muscle and burn off the carbs to prevent fat gain.

3. In a weight losing mode your body will enter a catabolic condition (tearing down). Therefore, it is very hard to prevent the loss of some lean body mass.

The low carb diet is much better than other diets for preserving LBM. I found my LBM to remain pretty much constant during my recent loss of 15 pounds on a diet of high protein, restricted fat, restricted calories and very low carbs. My carbs for the last two months were sometimes less than 10 gm. after subtracting fiber in order achieve weight loss. They are always less than 20 gm. Be sure to take your essential oils. I take Carlson's lemon flavored cod liver oil for Omega-3 and use almond oil for Omega-6 with red-wine vinegar on salads. A moderate amojnt of natural fat on meats is OK but avoid large quantities of bacon, cheese, etc.

Essentially, I have been on induction for 8 weeks and expect to continue in order to drop a few more pounds of fat.

Good luck,
Kent