View Single Post
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 12:32

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I don't know what you are referring to by "free=free". If you meant "fat=free" and, by that, meant that you are free to eat unlimited amounts of fat then, in fairness to the good doc, he does point out in a number of places that his "Nutritional Approach" is NOT a license to gorge yourself - on fat or anything else. But I agree that a casual reading does tend to convey that message throughout much of the book.

I can assure you that I am critical of Dr. A on a few points as well. I understand that he is targetting a particular audience, that he has to be sufficiently appealing to get that audience to listen, and that he has to play some psychological games in order to be effective with much of that audience. That doesn't mean I like it.

I'm also critical of the Eades and all of the other people I have read one points scattered here or there - and, as I'm sure you've found out, that's one of the big advantages of reading as many of the LC books as possible. You get to take the average, fill in holes, and throw out the excesses.

As far as sticking to 20g a day until you reach 75% - if that works for you then go for it. Do be aware that many people (not all) that have tried that have struggled with boredom and frustration more than they needed to and, more importantly, many people have seen slowing of their weight loss and eventual stall as their body adjusted to such a low, sustained carb intake and they found that their weight loss resumed or sped up after increasing their carbs moderately. So keep that in mind in case you run into any difficulties down the road.

Cheers!