View Single Post
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 19:52

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

The beginning of this thread was phrased in a self-reflection type format - not an advice-type format. LC Sponge was referring to HER experience and the transformations SHE went through and how what SHE had to do to get from where she started to where she is now was to grow up. The advice did not start until after the self-reflection stage that was there to establish the context of the subsequent advice.

Quote:
Weight loss is all about getting back to the weight we were/are most suited to. HOW we get there, - the steadiness (or not) of the weight lost, is completely and totally irrelevant.

My advise is to stick with the program, steadily and totally -- without micro managing and psychoanalysing ever step.... and do this until you get to goal. If you dissect whatever program you are on - too greatly, you will go crazy. If you pick apart every minute, every second, you may very well reach goal, but still be miserable. Lighten up. Your goal will come. Combat anal tendancies while you still have weight to lose - get them out of the way NOW -- , then once you are "thin" you will be absolutely perfect.

Can you describe what about this advice you find wrong or offensive?

Please note that I responded to this thread pointing out that many people starting down the LC way of life are NOT ready to accept this advice, not matter how good it might be.

What I am seeing now is a prime example of that. You are not ready to grow past the point where you currently are. That is NOT a slam or a put down. It is merely an observation. I was there myself. Want proof:

My overreaction to Karen

After I made my final post in that thread I seriously considered deleting my journal and every post I had made and cancelling my registration and all of my thread and forum subscriptions right then and there. Why? Because my feelings were hurt and I was throwing a temper tantrum. That simple.

But, had I done that, I wouldn't have seen Karen's response nearly seven hours later that revealed how I had chosen (yes, chosen) to misinterpret her words. Much worse, I almost certainly would not have made it through the next week where I steadily gained back much of my initial losses - my entire LC attempt would have probably ended then and I would be over 400# right now. So, fortunately for me, I swallowed my injured pride (injured in my eyes, anyway) and stuck around.

So what did I learn from this experience? Grow up!

That's what I learned that I had to do. And, quite frankly, it's what I think you have to do as well.

When we start out we tend to have very fragile egos and wear our feelings on our shirtsleeves. I think it is a reflection of our being very unsure about whether we are pursuing the right path, whether we are pursuing that path right, and whether we are right in pursuing that path. It tends to leave us quite defensive.

But, although I pointed in out in my earlier response that those of us that have managed to move past our initial insecurities must consider that no amount of advice can shift the attitudes of someone that is not ready, the reverse is also true. If we are too defensive and quick to offend then we close ourselves off from the very experiences that we need in order to grow, step by step, from where we start out to where we need to end up.

I hope that you decide to stick around or, if you decide to leave, that you are able to maintain an LC lifestyle on your own or with some other support mechanism. Whatever you decide, I know you will continue to be welcome here - either now or when you are ready to come back.