View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Shasta, your strong carbohydrate cravings could be caused by low blood sugar. As stated on one site about Atkins:

Quote:
Dr. Atkins' "induction phase" may cause problems in persons who typically consume large quantities of carbohydrates, or who are prone to hypoglycermia (low blood sugar), because their bodies may not be able to produce either glucose or ketones fast enough to supply the requirements of the brain and muscle activity, causing fatigue which may be sudden or extreme. I am aware of numerous persons who have had major problems with this aspect of the Atkins diet.

http://www.theidealdiet.com/aboutAtkins.htm
This is the link to the above quote, but I can see many incorrect statements by the author and many unnecessary statements of caution. I would check everything on this site against more reliable LC references.

The best way to prevent carb cravings and stabilize blood sugar is by eating fat. Try frying one slice of bacon on low heat as a snack to stop the craving. Stop cooking while the bacon is still floppy with white fat showing. Many people, myself included, love bacon this way, but others have this nagging phobia against eating pure fat this way, especially when growing up their entire lives hearing constant warnings to avoid eating fat. Look for bacon labeled "no sugar added." Some bacon labeled as "low-sodium" will also show no sugar in the ingredients list.

The amount of L-carnitine is not critical because high levels can be taken safely. Try two or three 500 mg tablets per day. Some people recommend it be taken between meals, but I take my with meals. Vitamins which are linked to the "acetyl" molecule are believed to be more easily taken up by the body and are preferred. Therefore, I switch to acetyl-L-carnitine.

Hang in there and be assured that great health benefits are ahead by eating LC.

Kent