#11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 16:13

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fear of Water

Hi Rey,
I learned to swim by being thrown into the deep end by my brother! I'm very lucky that I didn't develop a fear of the water. As Twiggy mentioned, getting used to putting your face in the water is a good first step and in your case perhaps your Doctor can prescribe water therapy and the therapists can help you feel more comfortable in the water. Perhaps you could be put into or get into a jucuzzi and start sitting on the steps then standing up on the bottom, then putting your face in the water. Another kinda silly way is to get in the bathtub and put your face under the water assuming you can do this. Opening your eyes under water and knowing that you are safe may help. Another method is to get a facemask (diving mask) and put that on before putting your head in the water and again as Twiggy mentioned wearing goggles.
The water is one of the best places to exercise and to heal the body. I think everyone can benefit and I've seen non-swimmers slowly make progress over the course of months to feel safe in the water. Good luck to you and I admire your courage. Maureen