#5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 09:09
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Traveller,

Cozaar contains potassium in trace amounts only ... 2.12mg in the 25mg dose, and 4.24mg in the 50mg tablet I noticed that edema/ fluid retention is a less-common side effect of this drug, and might be a precipitating factor with your swelling symptoms, and apparent failure to lose weight.

HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide) has the potential to deplete not only potassium, but also sodium and calcium. You would be wise to phone your pharmacist to ask for guidance with supplements. IMHO, s/he would be a better resource than the dr

You've been given some good advice ... definitely cut out the processed salty foods. Eat more high-fiber vegetables ... note that pale lettuce isn't very high in fiber, it's mostly water. Spinach, asparagus, broccoli and lots of fresh parsley are terrific, and just happen to also be rich in natural potassium. Avocados and salmon are high in potassium as well; you might want to incorporate these foods into your menu more often.

I've experienced swelling and edema with the hot humid weather for most of my adult life. My previous dr. was quick with the prescription pad, and HCTZ was the drug of choice. I liked the quick "fix" and lost up to 10 lbs of water .. but also experienced the dizziness and weakness from low potassium and calcium. Back then, the dr just told me to eat a banana, I'd be fine. The trouble with taking diuretics is .. it's just a bandaid. Yes, they relieve the fluid retention, but they don't correct the underlying cause, which could be anything from side effect to other medications (in your case the Cozaar, plus NSAIDS like Motrin and Aleve can cause fluid and salt retention), hormonal imbalance, too much salt in the diet and/or not enough potassium, low thyroid .. etc, etc, etc. My current dr. refuses to prescribe diuretics, even though my swelling is significant (even my face and eyes) and pitting at times. I've found taking extra vitamin B6 to be helpful ... but make sure you're also taking a supplement with all the B-complex in it as well. You could try an extra 50 to 100mg B6 daily.

Dr. Atkins and Dr. Pescatore (Thin for Good, also LC) recommend B6, plus Taurine, an amino acid which you can find at a health food store.

Hope you're feeling better soon. And do talk to the pharmacist about supplements

Doreen