Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 16:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrsy
However, what really bothered me is that he kept saying that metabolism plays no part in this equation.

Ah, but he didn't say that. He said "tough, you have to deal with the cards you're dealt."

To me, this simply means that a slow metabolism should not give you an excuse to give up trying.

Many of us who lose slowly due to various reasons and conditions and/or drugs, get demotivated. We know that we lose really slow. We know that if we keep at it, at least we won't gain back or gain more weight.

We know these things, but we still give up and indulge. We just say "oh, my XYZ condition is slowing my metabolism". Well, there are two options available: 1) Give up and and use that as an excuse, or 2) Deal with it, and keep at it, slow or fast.

I haven't read any of his books, but I'm familiar with his cognetive techniques, and I find them based on Dyer's "Erroneous Zones".

The erroneous zone in this case is that we start enjoying our excuse. Telling ourselves (and maybe others) "I have a slow metabolism because I have XYZ, and use ABC medication" is a way to justify giving up. What are the rewards of this behaviour? 1) Makes us feel better avoiding the hard work needed to be done, 2) Getting sympathy from others.

The work needed to be done is often known to us, it's just hard work. Excuses are much easier. We often don't requie more knowledge to start, we tend to wait until we hit the bottom.

This does not mean the person doesn't really have a slow metabolism, due to real physical reasons. It simply means that you have to deal with it. Slow metabolism is not zero metabolism, and you if you follow a healthy plan and exercise for life you will get a lot of benefit, if you do the work and have patience..

Wa'il