View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 17:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Re: High protein, low carb diets don't work, say nutritionists on 'No Diet Day'

[QUOTE]Originally posted by doreen T
Sunday May 5, 2002, 2:03 PM EST

By AMY CARMICHAEL

"When you limit the amount of carbohydrates you take in, you force the body to try to convert glucose from other sources into amino acids," Bell said. "It's hard for the body to do that and often ends up breaking down lean muscle tissue to meet those needs."

A dieter doesn't want to lose muscle mass, because that's the tissue in the body most able to burn calories, she added."

Of course it will...especially if you aren't getting adequate dietary protein following a high carb/low fat diet.

"Many people don't realize or just won't accept that they are largely genetically bound to their shape and size, said Davis, adding that genes are 80 per cent responsible for setting a person's weight. By contrast, genetics are only thought to be 46 per cent responsible for a person developing breast cancer, she noted."

Genetically predisposed to being more than 100 lbs. over my ideal weight? I don't think so! If that were the case, I wouldn't have been able to lose as much as I have as I would have been fighting my "preprogrammed" weight the whole time.

"International Don't Diet Day was founded in 1992 by Mary Evens Young of the English anti-diet lobby group DietBreakers. She established the day to express frustration with societal standards of appearance that pressure people to be thin - often with devastating results.

Around the world, health-care workers use the occasion to educate people about eating and dieting disorders."

A wonderful idea and a worthy pursuit. Let's also educate people on the effect of carbs on insulin production and how it leads to insulin resistance and diabetes/heart disease. Why include Atkins and other low carb plans in the list to be attacked? This is not a diet...it's a permanent change in lifestyle leading to permanent weight loss and increased health. Atkins also encourages excercise as part of the lifestyle. Sounds pretty healthy to me!