View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 15:48

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

anti-depressants worry me for several reasons.

They are no doubt bolixing up the user's serotonin system even worse

They are addictive

They keep people out of deep sleep, which leads to (you guessed it!) depression

I tried super mild doses for a week (doc told me they'd help prevent the migraines) and became totally psychotic. I was about two more doses from hearing voices, I swear. Very disturbing, but more disturbing to me to realize that a quarter of American women are walking around on these things. Thank God my mind cleared up 48 hours after I quit them.

And lastly, there's a political aspect to this. Women suffer depression more often. Married women also do 90% of childrearing, 80% of housework, have been taught to unhealthily caretake emotionally for others, hold down a full time job, are taught to hate their own bodies...and on and on and on. Many live with alcoholic husbands or men who beat them. Most are underpaid.

Medicating away the very real feelings of tiredness, misery, and confusion that such social inequities cause is, to my mind, morally wrong.

I say, change the world first. Then see what changes about our own body image, our own sadness and exhaution.

I'm so glad LCing and better nutrition has helped you so much fiona. I think it has helped "moodiness" for most of us.