View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 11:50

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%
Default weight gain and antidepressants

cristian, I heard that most antidepressants can cause weight gain and one of the very first things I told my doctor was, "I have already gained 60 pounds from being depressed. The last thing I need is some medication to make me gain more!"

He had the nerve to say, "Well, medication cannot make you gain weight. Medication does not have any calories." I could have slapped him for saying that to me!

I am currently taking Effexor XR. One of the side effects is a decrease in appetite. (Thank God!) I can say with certainty that I really DO have a decrease in appetite. There were even a couple of nights when I went to the trouble of making dinner and then just put it in the fridge because I absolutely couldn't stand the thought of eating.

I am hopeful that this new lifestyle of low-carb living will help me to lose the 60 pounds that I gained during the last year and a half. (I was severely depressed and turned to food for comfort for the entire year and a half...and the weight just kept piling on...making me more depressed...so I ate more...and gained more...you know the cyle.)