View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 14:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I personally support low-carb authors in their business adventures. I would draw the line where there is an actual scam, but to my knowledge there haven't been any (yet).

Some authors have a particular combination of supplements that do not exist in the market in the prescribed dosages. For example, Brad King, author of "Fat Wars" has a particular list of recommended supplements that he considers optimal for fat burning, without using ephedra. He simply had a company manufacture it under the name "Lean+" and I found it sold locally for half the price of other burners.

I personally find it more offensive when authors mislead readers by manipulating scientific facts (many LC authors slam other LC diets as fads, and claim some stupid things like protein causes muscle loss, Ketosis is dangerous, etc. with no scientific proof).

But when they sell supplements, they usually do it outside their books, either through their web sites, or in an appendix in their books. There is nothing wrong with that.

And I really hope they get rich doing it, so they can focus more on future LC research and discoveris.

Using their name to sell it at a higher price is similar to drug companies selling the brand name of the drug. You often find much cheaper generics with identical formula. We shouldn't be too protective fo consumers up to the point of assuming they have no common sense

The only sour point is the sugar alcohols and glycerine used in LC bars, but it seems they don't stall everyone, and many (especially men) can use them with no hindering of weight loss.

Take Udo's blend for example, how many commercial products in the market now offer a similar balanced blend with the same pressing technique. Not that many, and you won't save a lot of many by by pressing and blending your own.

I think the main reason we maybe too critical of LC authors is that we view them as saviours and heros who are going against the medical powers that be and fighting to educate the world about the modern diet's dangers. Once you view them as absolute heros, it may seem creepy that they need money to survive, just like us. But, if you need to visit a doctor, you need to pay, and chances are many of us will be offended if our physicians refused to take our money and started acting like we're a charity project.

Wa'il