View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 07:49

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%
Default Rant: LC, trust, and capitalism

I'm reading Udo's book on fats...and I'm adding Udo (as he portrays himself in this book) to the list of people I can't stand who are writing on LC-type issues. This has re-triggered all the anger I have about the LC world in general.

Atkins sells overpriced vitamins and bars/shakes that will stall you, the Eades hawk this ridiculous Pentabosol as if it's something more than six common minerals and amino acids, and Udo will, for a hefty fee, tell you how to feed your dog if you simply contact him at the address given. (hmm, I just posted how to feed you dog for free on the paleo board. please pass the info along...for free. Or buy the book on BARF--less than $10.)

They are writing these books in a way that latches onto our insecurities about our bodies--driven by a culture that irrationally hates fat on the human body and shames people for their genetic inheritance of having an "unpopular" body type or a history of emotional eating due to childhood abuse or whatever caused the weight problem in the first place. They add to this goading us into panic about our health.

Then they draw us in...then they say, "oh, this would work so much better and faster if only you did X too...and X is for sale at my 1-800 number, please call 24 hours per day."

When they do that, I have to start to suspect that the information they are giving us is bogus. When their main thrust seems to be profiting off my insecurities, it dawns on me that if I strip away my insecurities, I am left with a way of eating that makes me feel better, but that in no way has been a miracle weight loss cure for me--or for many others who have posted on this board over the past year. Their profiteering makes me
wonder how healthy it really is.

And then they (and others) say, "it's your own fault you got cancer because you ate wrong," when the main causes of cancer are the pollutants that derive from the industrial world we are now so dependent on. Blame the victim--triggering guilt and shame is always a good strategy! And now buy this product and version six of my book (version 1 won't do) and it will all be better.

This profiteering makes me suspicious as heck. The self-promoting tones of Udo and Dr. A make me also suspicious. I feel a great need to shower more often when I read these books or see their services advertised--there is something icky about all of it.
Sponsored Links