View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 07:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/168/133
BF:
Progress: 51%

I'm not an expert (nor do I play one online!), but it seems to me that one of the reasons that people gain weight after quitting smoking is that the metabolism slows down a little. That, and the feeling of needing to do something with your hands/mouth, which can lead to excess snacking. So, it seems logical to me that a way to avoid weight gain would have to address those issues.

Consequently, I'm (I quit a week ago) upping the exercise somewhat - from at least 30 mins cardio/day to at least 40 mins, and making sure that I don't snack in between meals. I let myself snack last week - probably would have gone mad otherwise! - but am back to being 'good' this week.

I'll keep you posted about whether I manage to continue losing weight this way. I've already noticed that the exercise is a lot more fun, because I don't get so puffed so quickly - and today I conquered a hill - whilst cycling - that I've always had to walk up before!

So, even if I do stop losing for a while, or even gain a little (praying that I don't, though!) - the benefits of stopping smoking outweigh (no pun intended) the disadvantage of slowed weight loss!

Jo