#15   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 03:49

Plan: Scharzbein principle
Stats: 187/187/147 Female 166cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi all

very interesting discussion.

From what I can understand,those of us for whom LOw carbing works, are all suffering from insulin resistance?

I had been going to weight watchers for many years and watching women around me lose weight on weekly basis while I sat there depressed only losing an odd lb every now and then. I know the leader wondered if I really did follow the programme...when in actualy fact I did, but it just didn't work for me.

So there must be people out there who are not insulin resistant..right?

So maybe these means that those people won't succeed on a low carb diet?

I was at a lecture by a doctor on Saturday, who's an expert on Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. most/many women with this condition suffer from insulin resistance which is the core reason for the development of their other symptoms.

He explained it from an evolutionary point of view in that insulin resistant women often develop PCOS which often causes them to lose their fertility. However in the past, when a famine occured, it was the PCOS women who regained their fertility and kept the human race going while the non-pcos women lost ther fertility as they starved.
This is an evolutionary thing to keep the human race going.

Obviously most of us will never experience a famine and the westernised diet we now eat is identifying the insulin resistant from the non-insulin resistant?

Anyway, my point is we are not all the same so there may well be a big group of the population who don't find the Low carb diet the best for them.

that's my tuppence worth anyway.....
Clo