View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 12:53

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi JayKay,
I don't mind sharing at all! I had trouble on Atkins as I couldn't really run at all (nothing longer that an hour or two) without feeling really weak. I read the outline of Schwarzbein and I liked her program that allows for an adjustment of carb intake based on your activity level. I hope you get a chance to read her book and maybe her program will work for you.
I eat about 70-90 grams each day on a regular day. On my long run days I eat the same although I use performance food while I'm out on the trail. These a high glycemic index foods such a Power Gel and GU. THese a packaged in a 1 oz foil container, have the consistancy of yogurt, and you eat it, then drink about a cup of water to help it digest. I take one to two packets each hour which equates to 200 calories an hour. If I eat something else than I adjust the gel intake. I also eat Zone bars, similar to a Power Bar except it has more fat! I found that I need the fat. I have learned (the hard way) that eating only carbs during a long event leads to stomach upset.
I also eat regular food like chicken noodle (hold the noodles) soup and I make a killer shake, I think the recipe is in the story. I guess the bottom line is the harder the exercise/effort the easier digestable food is necessay. The slower the pace the more regular type food can be eaten.
Upon completion of a long training run or race I immediately revert back to my Schwarzbein eating program! I think that is important. I don't want to go back to the days of the celebratory Mexican food feast! That just packs back on the pounds. I ran a 48 hour track run in Dec 2001 and through the rest/recovery process I gained 3 pounds!
JayKay, I don't know what type of mountaineering you do (climbing or hiking) but it is definitely a sport that requires the proper fuel. I do want to say that I have read posts that suggest that you can train your body to run on fat but I haven't been able to, nor do I want to try. I had a brief experiment (6 hour run wothout carbs, I bombed, ate some gels and made it back in!). I think I get into a combo where fat and fuel are burning. I have seen and talked to hikers (up in the Sierras) that eat very little for the effort they are putting out. I don't know how they do it! I also talked to guy last week who is fastpacking the John Muir Trail and he wants to do so on 1000 calories a day! I don't see how that is possible.
Again, I suggest that you read all of the info on this site and make your own decision for your own body and how it reacts. I have no trouble switching back from high carbs to low and I've never felt better. Good luck to you and feel free to pick my brain! I have a few cells left!
Maureen