View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 11:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

I must say that I don't totally disagree with the article -- I do agree on some points. The exception is that I believe it was the high carbs, not fats, in convenience foods that caused our weight gain.

My husband and I did start to gain weight when I re-joined the work force. We totally changed the way we ate because I no longer had the time to grow veggies and cook from scratch. Before I worked outside the home I grew a big garden and everything I made was from scratch. Not only did the garden provide lots of exercise, but we had an endless supply of good, fresh veggies. A typical meal was two or three different types of veggies and plenty of fresh meat (usually grilled).

Then, when I went to an office instead of the kitchen, I fell into the 'working woman' trap -- turning to convenience foods -- mostly frozen pizzas, pastas, etc. Most convenience foods are loaded with carbs because they're cheap fillers for the food manufacturers and make their products more profitable for them.

I also became sedentary -- no more long walks, no gardening, etc., because I went from work to driving kids to activities, etc., and had to time for myself.

So I do believe that my going to work outside of the home contributed to my weight gain, but not because of fats, but rather because of buying into the typical American high carb convenience foods.