View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 14:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Schwarz...

Would he be willing to substitute some lower carb/lower glycemic things for the higher carb ones? For instance...instead of having white potatoes, how about sweet potatoes? Instead of white rice, how about brown rice? Whole grain breads without added sugar or sweeteners instead of nutrient deficient white bread. The advice to always balance a higher carb food with a protein is very good and I'd certainly suggest that. The protein tends to slow the absorption of the carbs and keep the blood sugar from rising as rapidly as it would if the high carb food were eaten on its own. Spring is right, though...if he won't give up chowing down on carby foods, he will always have a problem with his blood sugar. I don't think I'd recommend a protein bar with 26 grams of carb as a snack for a person with blood sugar problems; he'd be better off snacking on cheese cubes or nitrate-free jerky. As for his carb level, it really depends on him; some people can handle more than others. 50-60 may be a bit low or it could be just right.