View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 10:07

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Breathe in the Chardonay

Researchers have discovered that white wine has medicinal properties that help to keep the lungs healthy.

The researchers at the University of Buffalo in New York State found that people who drink a few glasses of white wine on a regular basis have stronger lungs than those who never touch it. Drinking red wine can also help but not to the same extent.

These results were presented to the American Thoracic Societies conference in Atlanta on May 20th.

Red wine in moderation has been shown to be bebeficial for the heart but in this case the relationship was stronger for white wine.

In the study 1555 volunteers were asked to complete a questionnaires that assesed alcohol consumption and other aspects of their lifestyles. They were then asked to take two standard lung-function tests. Both recent and a lifetime history of modereate wine drinking,perticularly with white wine were associated with high readings for FVC and FEVI lung capacity(volume measurements)

It is thought that the benefits come from compounds such as phenols and flavonoids, which are abundant in wine and which reduce oxidative stress, a key element in the aging process.

However the Professor in charge of the rearch, a Professor Schunemann said that it was not clear why anti-oxidants in white wine appeared to be beneficial to the lungs than those in red.

This is the sort of research I like. I can now drink white wine with my fish and red wine with my meat.

It is always useful to know that what you have been doing all your life for fun is good for you as well.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links