View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 07:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/296/220 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default I got Gout, Dr ordered off Atkins

Well, I managed to drink myself into Gout over a 10 day vacation in SC. I spent about 14 hours a day in the sun and drank way, way, way too much alcohol. I tried to drink enough water but didn't and was dehydrated for much of the week. I got back and within two days I was in so much pain from my right big toe that I could hardly walk. I went to my Dr and he diagnosed Gout and gave me a anti-inflammatory that took care of the problem in a day. When I told him I was on Atkins he was less than impressed (despite me losing 50 pounds and dropping my blood pressure) and said I should get of the plan and Gout was the first sign. He also insisted in checking my cholesterol since he was sure it would now be a problem. Well, I dropped from 170 fasting prior to the diet to 130 2 hours after a sausage-egg-cheese breakfast. My good number has also increased.

I'm very disappointed in my Dr, he was very negative and brushed my 50-pound weight loss off like it was a 5-pound drop. It seems to more success I have on this diet the more people want to tell me how bad it is for me, there were many people at work who used the Gout as an opportunity to preach to me about how unhealthy Atkins is. I don't think Atkins caused my Gout, I know it didn't help, but it didn't cause it. I think I'm currently in the market for a new Physician.
Sponsored Links