View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 18:25

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Not another Yogurt question...

Okay. I buy FULL FAT goatmilk and I heat it to 180 degrees, let it cool to 115 degrees and add my yogurt culture - keep it covered in 115 degrees for 26 hours - it's VERY VERY SOUR just like KEFIR - ....so If I leave it THAT long...and ALL the lactose is gone from it, or most of it - how many carbs are left?

I know commercial yogurts have about 4 countable carbs per cup (minus 8 carbs approx for the lactose eaten up), but I make my OWN and it's so sour - I don't think anyone in their right mind/accept me - would enjoy it.

...Also, if I take a plain, full fat container of yogurt, you know, stonefields - sometimes I make a "cheese" or "sourcream" thingy out of it by turning it over coffee filters and letting it just drain over a bowl for about 12 hours. Instant home made/cheese/sourcream - now many people say that all the lactose and sugars will drip right out - and I believe that - it does NOT taste sweet at all/not sour, but just bland...and the liquid that comes off is syrupy and an eggwhite consistency...

...anyone know if I'm making extremely low carb "cheese/sourcream" in my own way with this yogurt technique? How many carbs would be in it? A quart of yogurt condenses into about 1/2 that amount of "cheese", so are there almost no carbs due to the dripping down of lactose in it or because it is now concentrated, are the carbs the same or HUH?

Thanks. I hope someone knows.

Oh, also, if I take NONfat yogurt and make my "cheese" out of it, did all the lactose (sugar + carbs) drip out - making a non-fat - carbfree substance or ?

One more thing - if I take NONfat milk, and I make my 26 hour yogurt out of it is all the lactose gone/or most of it if it is REALLY sour -- ???

Just wondering.
Sponsored Links