View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 20:17

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Tamara,
I had breast cancer 5 years ago. LIke you, I was young, early forties. I had been a vegetarian for a good portion of my youth (18-40). At about age 40 I started eating things like fish and chicken, but never liked eggs and milk. I also smoked.
My diet was high in sugar, as are many vegetarian regimes.

Fast forward to 1996. I was shocked to find a big lump under my arm. It was breast cancer that had spread to my lymph node. The node was huge, but they told me it was incapsulated, which I guess is better.

I went thru alot of changes. I prayed about every move I made, including what foods to eat.
Immediately after all the treatment, I began to juice carrots and other vegetables. I began to feel a little better, but I was also on tamoxifin. Between the tamox and the carrot juice I gained 50 lbs

I am going to cut to the chase here. I knew I had to do something about my weight. My blood sugar was running high too. I discovered the truth about sugar and carbs, and immediatley cut out all sugar. I went off bread, grains and most fruits. I went on a modified Atkins. I have lost in the last year, 35 llbs. It has been slow for me, because I do not do the diet as strictly as he recommends. But I have been steadily losing, and not gaining.

I would like to accelerate it at this point. That is why I have come on this forum---for support.

I went of tamox and feel great. The diet keeps my energy high!

Doctors and others will tell you that the low carb diet is dangerous for people who have had cancer. They are still recommending the old high carb, low fat diet that we know makes people fat, raises insulin levels and generally makes us lethargic. In spite of the Harvard Nurses Study, they are still promoting the vegetarian, low fat diet. We are told that it will ruin our kidneys, stress our liver and all that terrible protein will certainly make the cancer grow. And the high fat is likely to cause breast cancer, even though there's a pretty reliable study that has proven that it does not. If I recall correctly, the women with the lowest consumption of fat had a higher rate of breast cancer.
Go figure.

One thing that I think is important. Drink a lot of water. 2-3 qts a day. And a little extra sea salt (celtic is the best) will help keep your cells hydrated. I have a wonderful web site for you to check out, based on the book "Your Bodies Many Cries For Water".
It is www.watercure2.com
Dr. Batmanghelidj has an interesting take on the connection between dehydration and degenerative diseases, including cancer.

Blessings to you in your recovery!